Cooler weather means that many people are building fires for warmth in their homes. Not only do wood burning fireplaces heat spaces up quickly, they also provide a cozy atmosphere. But building a fire can be challenging if you’re just using regular wood. Having a fire starter on hand can allow you to build fires more quickly. This saves time and effort so you can heat your home any time you need to.
There are several different types of fire starters. Some work better than others. Choosing the right one can also depend on your personal preference when it comes to building fires. Be sure to read the directions on the fire starter package before using it to ensure you’re doing it safely and efficiently each time. The following is a list of the 10 best fire starters based on reviews by consumer guides.
[amazon box=”B00FXY8YYW,B00XNBRSW6,B07FPQVLFH,B00ZPT1CXK,B011KW8W2E,B00ZE2GSUK,B07NYTZYQL,B000HHO4W6,B00404R4NI,B08L4649FP” /]
10. Ignite-O FS855-24 Instant Fire Starter
The Ignite-O FS855-24 instant fire starter makes quick work of starting fires for heat or ambiance. This pack of 12 fire starters are designed to burn cleanly and safely.
These fire starters from Ignite-O are easy to use and ideal for those with little experience in starting fires. They can be used indoors or outdoors.
- burn for up to 15 minutes
- don’t emit fumes or leave residue
- can be used in fireplaces, wood stoves, campfires, and charcoal grills
- versatile for indoor and outdoor use
- made of organic compounds
- don’t contain lighter fluid or smelly chemicals
- pricier than some other fire starters based on package size
- may not burn long enough to start fires with certain types of wood
This set of 12 fire starters from Ignite-O are designed for indoor and outdoor use. They can help you quickly make fires in your fireplace, fire pit, campfire, or wood stove.
9. Midwest Hearth Fire Starter Squares
The Midwest Hearth fire starter squares come in a large package making them ideal for anyone who relies on a fireplace or wood stove for heating their home.
These fire starters from Midwest Hearth are non-toxic and safe for use indoors or outdoors. They can be used in a fireplace, fire pit, campfire, and more.
- made from compressed wood chips, recycled newspaper, and paraffin wax
- designed to light quickly
- burns for 10 minutes per square foot
- lights even when wet
- can be used in BBQ grills without flavoring your food
- approved for sale in California
- come in a flimsy box so you may need to move them to another container for storage
- can dry out over time if not used up
These fire starters come in a box with 144 pieces. They can be broken up into individual squares as you need them. They are made from non-toxic materials and can be used indoors or outdoors.
8. GreenSpark – Friendly Fire Starter Bundles
The GreenSpark Friendly Fire starter bundles come in a box of 70. These fire starters are made of all-natural materials and are environmentally friendly.
These fire starters from GreenSpark are made from a blend of wood wool and natural stearin. They include no artificial chemical additives and are safe for use in most types of wood burning fireplaces.
- designed to burn for 8-10 minutes
- can be used in tough conditions like wind or inclement weather
- ideal for indoor and outdoor use
- works in a fire pit, outdoor grill, wood burning stove, and more
- made of sustainable materials
- efficient design allows you to start fires quickly with minimal effort
- may burn out more quickly than some other types of fire starters
- can produce a lot of smoke
This box of fire starters includes 70 individual starters made from natural materials. They are easy to use and can be useful for starting fires for heat or for recreational purposes.
7. duraflame Quick Start Firelighters
The duraflame quick start firelighters are available in a pack of 40. They are easy to use and are designed to help you get your fires going in just minutes.
These firelighters from duraflame break apart easily so you can choose how many you need based on the type and size of fire you’re lighting. They can be used in fireplaces, fire pits, campfires, and more.
- box includes 10 4-packs
- designed to replace messy fire starters like newspaper and kindling
- use of these helps reduce wood fire emission
- safe for use inside or outside
- made with wax and a blend of recycled and renewable materials
- can be broken apart easily into the size you need
- based on the amount per package, these are not the best value on the market
- not as easy to start as some other options
This box of fire starters from duraflame includes 40 sticks. They can be broken apart based on the size you need. They work well in campfires, wood-burning stoves, fireplaces, and more.
6. duraflame 2.5lb 1.5-hr Firelog
These fire logs from duraflame are long-lasting to make it easy to start and maintain your fire. They have many uses and are safe for indoor or outdoor burning.
This set of fire starters from duraflame come in a box of 6. These logs are designed to burn much cleaner than standard wood to decrease soot and prevent you from excessive cleaning.
- lights quickly with full flames in less than 5 minutes
- designed to burn for up to 1.5 hours
- burns 80% cleaner than wood
- lights easily with little effort
- can be used in UL-listed fireplaces
- made in the USA of high-quality materials
- not as cost-effective as traditional fire starters
- comes in a smaller package than many other options
This firelog from duraflame can be used indoors or outdoors. It’s safe for use in open hearth fireplaces, fire pits, and campfires. The logs are easy to light and can burn for over 1.5 hours.
5. Midwest Hearth Rock Wool for Gas Log
The Midwest Hearth rock wool was created to be used in gas log fireplaces. These fire starters are designed to be safe and useful for most types of gas logs from many different manufacturers.
These fire starters can enhance your gas fireplace and create a beautiful ambiance in your home. They create a realistic glowing effect for an authentic-looking fire without the mess and hassle.
- made to glow like real coals where the flame touches the embers
- compatible with NG and LP gas appliances
- designed to last for many years
- easy to light and long-lasting
- work in most types of gas logs and fireplaces
- come in a reclosable bag so they stay fresh for future use
- not designed to help you light wood fires
- only made to be used in gas fireplaces
This bag of rock wool is made for use in gas logs and fireplaces. The bag includes 6 ounces and can be resealed so they maintain their integrity, even when not used for several seasons.
4. EasyGoProducts Approx. 120 Eco-Stix Fatwood Starter
The EasyGoProducts Fatwood fire starters come in a large box which makes them ideal for anyone who frequently has fires for warmth or for recreational purposes. These sticks can be used indoors or outdoors.
These fire starters from EasyGoProducts have a simple design that makes them very easy to use. They light quickly and burn hot so you can start fires with very little time and effort.
- come in a box with approximately 120 stix
- made from 100% pure, natural, and non-toxic ingredients
- can be used for camping, fire pits, or indoor fireplaces
- 10-pound box lasts a long time for the average household
- not made with petrochemical additives
- have internal resin that helps fires start naturally
- you need to use 2-3 sticks per fire
- they may not burn as long as some other types of fire starters
This 10-pound box of fire starters from EasyGoProducts make quick work of starting a fire. The sticks burn hot so you can start your fires with very little effort. These sticks are safe for indoor and outdoor use.
3. Better Wood Products Fatwood Firestarter Box
The Better Wood Products fatwood fire starter box contains 10 pounds of efficient fire starters. They can be used in many ways inside or outside your home. They work well for fireplaces, outdoor fire pits, and other wood burning devices.
These fire starters from Better Wood Products are made of all-natural materials. They are safe to be used indoors and outdoors. They work quickly to help you start fires for heat or recreational use.
- made of non-toxic materials for safe indoor use
- sticks are made to burn hot, even when damp
- made with the naturally occurring resin for a safe source of ignition
- can be used in fireplaces, stoves, grills, and campfires
- 10-pound box can last for a significant time when compared to other types of fire starters
- lightweight and portable so you can take them camping or for other outdoor uses
- not as cost-effective when compared to other fire starters
- you need at least 2-3 sticks for each fire
This box of fire starters contains 10 pounds of sticks. They are made to light easy, even when wet. These sticks can be used indoors in your fireplaces or for outdoor use in a campfire or fire pit.
2. Pine Mountain StarterLogg
The Pine Mountain StarterLogg fire starters are made for indoor or outdoor use. They can be used in a fire pit, indoor wood burning fireplace, wood stove, or campfire.
These fire starters have been designed to be very easy to use. They burn hot so you can start fires quickly and with very little effort. They’re also very affordable.
- made of natural materials, including hardwood
- light quickly and easily
- come in a box of 24
- burn cleaner than cordwood
- can easily be split into different sizes
- produce less carbon monoxide
- come in a smaller package than many other fire starters
- may not work well for wood stoves that you cook on
These fire starters from Pine Mountain are made from natural materials. They can be used in indoor and outdoor wood burning fireplaces. They’re also great for starting fires in a fire pit or campfire.
1. Plow & Hearth Boxed Fatwood Fire Starter
The Plow & Hearth boxed fatwood fire starter comes in an 11-pound box. These fire starters are designed to start your fires quickly and easily so you don’t have to waste time to heat your home.
These fire starters from Plow & Hearth can also be used for outdoor fires. They work well to help you save time when building fires in a fire pit or campfire.
- made of non-toxic materials
- sticks are loaded with natural resin for quick fire starting
- the sticks are pre-split which makes them easy to use
- compact and lightweight for portability
- made of environmentally friendly materials
- come pre-split
- may produce more smoke than other types of fire starters
- not ideal for use with certain types of hardwoods
This box of fire starters from Plow & Hearth is ideal for anyone who prefers to use natural woods that are environmentally friendly. They come in an 11-pound box for convenience.
A good fire starter can save you a lot of time when starting fires in your fireplace. Most fire starters are made of types of wood that burn quickly so you can use them to get your fire going with little effort. It’s a good idea to keep a supply of fire starters on hand so that you can always be prepared to build a fire. These fire starters can be used inside your wood-burning fireplace. They may also be useful in an outdoor fire pit or to build fires while camping.
When shopping for fire starters it’s helpful to consider the value. If you build a lot of fires, you may want to choose a large number of fire starters as this can help you save money. Anyone who needs fire starters for casual use, rather than for heating your home, may choose a smaller package for convenience. It’s helpful to read online reviews when choosing the best fire starters. These reviews can help you get the most out of your money.