Choosing the right food for your dog can be one of the most important decisions you make in your dog’s lifetime. Dog food has been specifically designed to meet the needs of dogs based on the nutritional needs required for them to be happy and healthy.
Most brands of dog food are created by a team of veterinarians who use science and medical knowledge to come up with formulas that are healthy and nutritious. Many dog foods are free of various ingredients that are not considered healthy for dogs. These ingredients may include wheat, corn, soy, and all types of grains.
Dog food is designed specifically for dogs based on the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients they need each day. Most dog foods will include a feeding recommendation on the bag based on the weight and size of your dog. It’s important to follow these recommendations to optimize your dog’s health. Some dog food formulas are designed for specific dog breeds or certain sizes of dogs.
There are also specialized formulas for weight gain, weight loss, and for use with puppies under 1 year of age. The best food for your dog will depend on their breed and their specific nutritional needs. You may need to try several different brands or formulas to find the optimal food for your dog. The following information can help you choose among the different brands available. This information includes the top 10 best dog food based on reviews by consumer report.
[amazon box=”B01EY9KQ2Y,B00YFZ7BDA,B00FBT7XAK,B00BD741WM,B003MGAIDI,B003O7ZON4,B000084F1I,B0018CIP6K,B0009YWKUA,B000W5SLB8″ /]
10. Purina Pro Plan FOCUS Sensitive Skin & Stomach Adult Dry Dog Food
The Purina Pro Plan FOCUS Sensitive Skin & Stomach formula is a food designed for use with adult dogs. This food comes in several flavor options including salmon and rice, lamb, lamb and oat meal, and a small breed salmon option.
This high quality dog food from Purina Pro Plan is available in several size options so you can choose the best one based on the eating habits of your dog. This food has been formulated with specialized nutrition to meet the specific needs of most adult dogs.
- it’s free of artificial colors and flavors
- contains no corn, wheat, or soy
- each flavor has meat as the number one ingredient
- sensitive skin and stomach formula is ideal for dogs with sensitive digestive systems
- the included prebiotic fiber promotes digestive health
- contains antioxidants to support the immune system
- not ideal for feeding to puppies or senior dogs
- the food is pricier than many similarly formulated foods from other brands
This premium dog food from Purina Pro Plan comes in several flavor options so you can choose one that your dog will enjoy. The food is available in small, medium or large sized bags. It contains many beneficial ingredients like fish oil, prebiotics, and oat meal to promote overall health and well being for adult dogs.
9. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
The Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein dry dog food is grain free. This food is designed for feeding adult dogs. It’s made of natural ingredients with the addition of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to help promote overall health.
This dry dog food from Blue Buffalo helps strengthen bones and teeth. It also contains ingredients to provide sustained energy so dogs can be active throughout the day. This food comes in several different flavors like chicken, duck, and salmon.
- high protein formula helps dogs maintain energy
- contains Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for a shiny coat and healthy skin
- food is free of corn, soy, and wheat
- food is made with a blend of vitamins and minerals carefully chosen by veterinarians
- the included antioxidants help promote immunity
- free of poultry by-product meal
- has a significantly higher price than many other brands
- food is not breed or size specific
This dry dog food from Blue Buffalo is designed to be fed to adult dogs with no specific breed or health recommendations. This makes it an ideal for for dogs of average weight with no health concerns. The food comes in several flavor options and different bag sizes.
8. Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Dog Food
The Rachael Ray Nutrisj Natural Dry Dog Food comes in a chicken and vegetable flavor. This food has US farm-raised chicken as the first ingredient to provide your dog with plenty of protein for sustained energy. It comes in a 6, 14, 28, or 40 pound bag.
This dry dog for from Rachael Ray Nutrish is designed for adult dogs with no weight or health concerns. It’s made from natural ingredients and has added vitamins and minerals to promote overall health. The food is also available in other flavors.
- free of artificial colors, preservatives, and flavors
- contains real meat as the first ingredient
- natural prebiotics help support healthy digestion
- contains no poultry by-product meal, corn, wheat, or soy
- added vitamins and minerals supplement your dog’s needs for optimum nutrition
- contains brown rice for fiber
- not grain-free
- food isn’t ideal for dog’s with sensitivities or allergies
This dry dog food from Rachael Ray Nutrish comes in several flavors including chicken and beef. The food has added vegetables and prebiotics to promote digestion, immunity, and overall well-being. It comes in several different bag sizes.
7. IAMS PROACTIVE HEALTH Adult MiniChunks Dry Dog Food
The IAMS PROACTIVE HEALTH Adult MiniChunks dry dog food is an affordable food made with premium ingredients. This food comes in small chunks which makes it ideal for dogs of all sizes. It’s designed for use with dogs over 1 year of age.
This dog food from IAMS has a veterinarian recommended formula that contains real chicken as the number 1 ingredient. It contains quality protein to help promote strong muscle development. The included blend of fiber and prebiotics also helps support digestion.
- contains antioxidants for a strong immune system
- wholesome grains help promote sustained energy
- comes in the following bag sizes: 3.3. 7, 15, 30, 38.5, and 40 pounds
- helps promote immunity and digestion
- contains chicken as the first ingredient
- food is free of wheat and soy
- not completely grain free
- contains corn which can cause sensitivities in some dogs
This dog food from IAMS is affordable and available in many different bag sizes. The food is designed for dogs over 1 year of age. It contains chicken as the first ingredient and also has the addition of dried beets and eggs for added nutrition.
6. Hill’s Science Diet Dry DogFood, Adult, Sensitive Stomach & Skin
The Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food is made for adult dogs. This food can be used with dogs who have sensitivities to certain ingredients. It contains foods that are designed to promote healthy digestion and a healthy coat and skin.
This dog food from Hill’s Science Diet is available in a chicken flavor and a grain-free chicken and potato option. This food is made with high quality ingredients that are easy to digest. The food is free of artificial preservatives, synthetic colors, and artificial flavors.
- recommended by veterinarians
- food can be used with dogs that have sensitive stomachs
- contains prebiotic fiber to promote immunity and digestion
- comes in 4, 15, 24, or 40 pound bags
- prebiotics promote a healthy gut
- vitamin E and Omega 6 help with skin and coat health
- chicken flavor isn’t grain free
- medium size kibble isn’t ideal for smaller breed dogs
This dog food from Hill’s Science Diet is available in two flavors with one being a grain-free option. This formula has been recommended by veterinarians to help dogs with sensitive stomachs and skin issues. The food contains a blend of antioxidants to support immunity.
5. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breed Dry Dog Food
The Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural dog food is designed for small breed dogs. This food is available in the 3 following flavors: chicken and brown rice, fish and brown rice, or lamb and brown rice. It comes in 6 or 15 pound bags.
This small breed formula from Blue Buffalo was created with the needs of small breed dogs in mind. It contains real meat as the first ingredient. The high quality protein in the different formulas helps smaller dogs build and maintain healthy muscle.
- has wholesome whole grains for sustained energy
- made with natural ingredients and enhanced with vitamins and minerals
- formula is free of poultry by-product
- works well for all types of small breed dogs
- veggies and fruits add nutrients to the formula
- food comes in small bites for smaller mouths
- doesn’t contain proper nutrition for large breed dogs
- food isn’t grain free
This premium dog food from Blue Buffalo has been specifically designed to meet the nutritional needs of all small breed dogs. The food contains high quality protein as the number one ingredient along with fruits and vegetables for added nutrients. The small pieces are easy for small dogs to eat and digest.
4. Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Dog
The Diamond Naturals Dry Dog Food is designed for adult dogs over one year of age. This food comes in a beef and rice formula. It contains high quality protein that has been sourced from pasture raised beef. This helps promote lean, strong muscle development.
This adult dog food from Diamond Naturals comes in a 40 pound bag. It contains proprietary probiotics for healthy digestion and a strong immune system. The food is made from ingredients that come from the United States.
- food is free of artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- made with an optimal amino acid profile
- contains fruit and vegetable superfoods for added nutrition
- food is made with scientifically advanced safety protocols for peace of mind
- antioxidants and phytonutrients support your dog’s immune system
- contains meat as the number one ingredient
- only comes in one flavor
- food isn’t completely grain free
This adult dry dog food from Diamond Naturals contains premium ingredients with added nutrients for overall health. The probiotics included in the formula make the food easily digestable and help with nutrient absorption. This food contains all-natural beef from US sources.
3. Taste of the Wild Grain Free Premium High Protein Dry Dog
This dog food from Taste of the Wild is ideal for highly active dogs that need a lot of protein. It contains smoked salmon as the first ingredient to help with building lean, strong muscles. The food comes in 5, 14, 28, and 30 pound size bags.
Taste of the Wild Grain Free Premium High Protein dry dog food works well for dogs that have allergies or sensitivities to grains. It has added vitamins and minerals from fruits and vegetables to provide a balanced diet for all dogs over 1 year of age.
- contains a fatty acid blend to help with skin and coat health
- ingredients come from trusted, sustainable sources
- food is grain free and doesn’t contain fillers
- no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives added
- food is made in the United States
- contains smoked salmon as the first ingredient
- may be pricier compared to other grain-free dog foods
- not ideal for use with dogs under one year or age or some senior dogs
This premium dog food from Taste of the Wild has real salmon as the main ingredient along with fruits and vegetables for added antioxidants. It’s highly digestible and can work well for dogs who don’t digest grain well. It contains species-specific probiotics to help you dog maintain a healthy immunity.
2. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
The Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula dry dog food is made from natural ingredients and formulated for adult dogs over 1 year of age. This food comes in the following flavor options: chicken and brown rice, lamb and brown rice, or fish and brown rice.
This dog food from Blue Buffalo comes in 6, 15, and 30 pound bags. Each flavor combination contains meat as the first ingredient. The food is made with natural proteins with the addition of fruits and vegetables to add vitamins and minerals for a balanced diet.
- contains the brand’s exclusive LifeSource bits to support overall wellness
- formula was developed by veterinarians with a blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals
- contains whole grains, vegetables, and fruits
- made with all natural ingredients
- contains no poultry by-product meals, corn, wheat, or soy
- this food is free of artificial preservatives
- price tag per pound is significantly more than many other brands
- not breed or size specific
This dry dog food from Blue Buffalo contains the brand’s unique blend of ingredients to promote immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance. High quality is the main ingredient to help dogs build and maintain lean muscle.
1. Taste of The Wild Grain Free Premium High Protein Dry Dog Food High Prairie Adult
The Taste of The Wild Grain Free Premium High Protein dry dog food works well for active dogs who need extra protein. This food comes in a roasted bison and venison flavor. It’s available in 5, 14, 28, and 30 pound bags.
This food from Taste of the Wild contains real meat as the main ingredient. It has an optimal amino acid profile to help your dog build and maintain muscle. This food also contains a fatty acid blend to help with skin and coat health.
- formula is completely grain-free
- proteins are responsibly sourced
- food is free of artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives
- contains high quality protein
- the addition of a blend of fruits and vegetables adds antioxidants
- food is highly digestable
- price per pound may be higher than most other brands
- ingredients are not all sourced from the United States
This premium dog food from Taste of the Wild has a bison and venison flavor that most dogs will love. It contains a high percentage of protein for dogs that need extra protein in their diet. The food helps support your dog’s immune system and a healthy coat.
The food you feed your dog either help them or hurt them. There are so many different dog foods available and they all vary greatly on their ingredients, where the ingredients are sourced from, and the manufacturing practices.
While there can be a huge price difference in the brands available based on the ingredients they contain, it’s important to understand that healthier dog food may cost more. That doesn’t mean that the most expensive is always the best. It’s important to do some research when you’re choosing food for your dog.
There are many brands of dog foods available and they all make different formulas. Some are breed or size specific while others can be fed to dogs of all breeds and sizes. When you’re shopping online for your dog food it can be helpful to read online reviews.
These reviews can help you choose a high quality food that will promote health and well being in your dog. You may need to try more than one type to find the option that best meets the needs of your dog.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.