As dogs age, they can encounter health issues. Many dogs, especially those of larger breeds, can benefit from taking certain types of supplements. But there are so many different supplements on the market, it can be hard to choose the best ones. Joint supplements are ideal for large breed dogs of all ages. They can also be beneficial to any size dog who is experiencing age-related issues when it comes to mobility.
When you’re shopping for joint supplements for dogs, it’s important to compare the different options available based on their ingredients. Some are made with quality ingredients that will provide your dog with the maximum benefits. Cheaper options may not always be the best when it comes to supplements. The following is a list of the 10 best dog joint supplements based on reviews by consumer report.
[amazon box=”B0030V9HV4,B000MCVGEA,B002LVTTYE,B0041OOPK2,B01G3V3P0Q,B0081KTPQQ,B07LDF9Z9K,B00GZWOWG0,B016MY21XG,B00VJLMYA8″ /]
10. Dasuquin Soft Chews for Dogs 60 lbs and over
The Nutramax Dasuquin joint supplement comes in a soft chew formula. This supplement is a blend of several compounds that help promote joint health.
These soft chews from Nutrmaxc come in a container with 84 pieces. The exact dosage per day for this supplement depends on the weight of your dog.
- available for dogs under 60 pounds or over 60 pounds
- designed with hip and bone health in mind
- contain glucosamine and chondroitin
- soft chews are easy to chew and digest
- palatable taste appeals to most dogs
- bag has a resealable top for freshness
- pricier than many other chews based on serving size
- not ideal for dogs that weigh under 10 pounds
This bag of soft chews are available in 2 different formulas: 1 for dogs over 60 pounds and 1 for dogs under 60 pounds. These chews are made with quality ingredients to promote bone and joint health.
9. Nutramax Dasuquin with MSM Chewables
This supplement for dogs from Nutramax comes in a chewable format that makes it easy to give to your dog. It contains a blend of active ingredients that have been shown to improve joint health.
The Nutramax Dasuquin chewable supplement comes in a bottle with 150 chewable tablets. It’s also available in a smaller bottle of 84 which can be a better option for those with smaller dogs.
- comes in a formula for dogs under 60 pounds and a formula for dogs over 60 pounds
- contains MSM, a naturally occurring sulfur-containing compound that promotes joint health
- created using more than 10 years of clinical research
- recommended by veterinarians
- chewable for dogs of all ages and sizes
- supports cartilage matrix production
- may be much pricier than some other supplements
- some dogs may not like the taste of this supplement
This joint and bone health supplement from Nutramax comes in 2 bottle sizes and 2 formulations for use with dogs of all weights. The supplement also contains MSM which has been shown to help heal cartilage.
8. VETRISCIENCE Laboratories
The VETRISCIENCE Laboratories comes in a bag with 120 bite-size chews. This supplement has been veterinarian-approved to promote hip and joint health.
This supplement from VETRISCIENCE is made with a formula that has been used and trusted for over 40 years. It contains a unique blend of ingredients to increase joint health in dogs of all ages.
- made with glucosamine, MSM, DMG, and antioxidants
- clinically proven to increase hind leg strength by up to 41% in 4 weeks
- can be used by dogs that are showing age-related joint symptoms and limited mobility
- comes in an easy to give chewable format
- can be used with dogs of all weights
- ideal for working breeds and other large breeds
- some dogs may not like the taste of these chews
- the serving size for these chews is larger than many others for large breeds which means the bag won’t last as long
This joint health supplement from VETRISCIENCE has been created by animal care professionals. The formula contains several beneficial ingredients that can be used on dogs of nearly any age and size.
7. Nutramax Dasuquin with MSM Soft Chews
The Nutramax Dasuquin with MSM supplement comes in a soft chew format. This supplement comes in a bag with 84 soft chews or 150 soft chews.
This supplement from Nutramax is designed for small to medium size dogs that weigh under 60 pounds. There is a separate formula that can be used for larger dogs.
- formula is designed and recommended by veterinarians
- soft chew is easy to administer
- includes MSM which promotes cartilage health
- can help with inflammation
- chews can be beneficial for dogs suffering from arthritis and other joint conditions
- chewable format works well for older dogs who need soft food and treats
- chews can dry out quickly if the bag isn’t resealed
- these don’t have a distinctive flavor which can lead some dogs not to take them easily
This chewable supplement from Nutramax is designed to promote joint and cartilage health. The supplement is made with a blend of ingredients that includes glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM.
6. Cosequin Soft Chews with MSM and Omega-3s
This dog supplement from Cosequin comes in a 120 count bag. It’s made with a blend of beneficial ingredients that support mobility and increase joint and cartilage health.
The Cosequin supplement is formulated with maximum strength to provide your dog with the most benefits. It’s recommended by vets and can be used with dogs of all sizes.
- contains MSM to boost cartilage health
- soft chews are easy to ingest for small and large dogs
- made with Omega-3s for skin and coat health
- improves your dog’s mobility
- bag is resealable
- palatable to most dogs
- have a strong odor
- the recommended dosage for large dogs means you’ll go through this bag quickly
This bag of soft chews from Cosequin contains several ingredients that have been shown to improve joint, bone, and cartilage health in dogs. These can be used with dogs of all sizes.
5. Nutramax Dasuquin with MSM Soft Chews
This supplement from Nutramax is designed for use with large dogs only. It contains MSM and other beneficial ingredients to help your dog feel better and regain their mobility as they age.
The Nutramax Dasuquin supplement comes in a bag with 150 soft chews. The recommended dosage changes based on how long you’ve been using them and includes a 4-6 week initial period with a larger recommended dosage.
- designed for dogs that weigh over 60 pounds
- comes in an 84 count bag or a 150 count bag
- No. 1 brand recommended by veterinarians for joint health
- easy to chew which makes them great for older dogs
- formulated with over 10 years of research
- helps inhibit cartilage breakdown
- chews may dry out quickly if not resealed properly
- one of the pricier options available based on recommended dosage and package size
This dog supplement from Nutramax contains glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM to promote joint and cartilage health in dogs. It’s designed to be used with dogs that are over 60 pounds in weight.
4. Petlab Co. Joint Care Chews for Dogs
The Petlab Co. Joint Care Chews are created for dogs of all sizes. This supplement is made with high-quality ingredients and comes in a 30 count container.
This dog supplement from Petlab Co. is formulated with ingredients that have been shown to increase mobility in older dogs and improve bone and joint health in dogs of all ages.
- has a tasty pork flavor
- made in the USA
- contains added vitamins when compared to other joint supplements
- includes glucosamine and MSM
- supports natural joint function
- small enough for dogs of all sizes to chew easily
- container has much fewer servings than comparable products
- may cause stomach upset in dogs with a sensitive digestive system
This dog supplement from Petlab Co. comes in a tasty flavor that most dogs will take willingly. These chews are ideal for dogs of all ages and sizes.
3. Cosequin Maximum Strength Joint Supplement
The Cosequin Maximum Strength Joint supplement is a maximum strength formula to provide your dog with joint health support. This supplement can be used with dogs of all sizes.
This dog joint care supplement form Cosequin is made with high-quality ingredients. It includes glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM, which work together to promote bone, cartilage and joint health.
- bottle contains 250 chewables
- manufactured in the United States
- comes in a tasty chicken flavor
- can be used with small, medium, and large dogs
- formula is highly recommended by veterinarians
- helps dogs who have difficulty with running, going up and downstairs, and jumping
- may cause digestive issues with some dogs, especially if given on an empty stomach
- picky dogs may not like the smell or taste of this supplement
This joint care supplement also contains MSM, which has been shown to promote cartilage health. It comes in a bottle of 250 and can be used for dogs of any size.
2. Doggie Dailies Glucosamine for Dogs
The Doggie Dailies Glucosamine for dogs contains 6 active ingredients to help with mobility. This supplement also works well to promote healthy joints and maximum comfort for older dogs.
This supplement from Doggie Dailies contains approximately 225 chews based on weight. These chews are tasty for most dogs and are suitable for dogs of any weight.
- contains beneficial vitamins and omega fatty acids
- MSM may help reduce inflammation
- supplement is made in a no-heat cook process that helps retain beneficial compounds
- come in a tasty chicken flavor
- have more active ingredients per chew than many other brands
- made in the USA
- large dogs need 5-6 chews per day, depending on their weight
- based on the dosage for large dogs, you may not find this supplement cost-effective when compared to others
This joint care supplement for dogs from Doggie Dailies contains a carefully-formulated blend of active ingredients. It’s ideal for dogs who are suffering from mobility issues and other joint-related problems.
1. PetNC Natural Care Hip and Joint Soft Chews for Dogs
The PetNC Natural Care hip nad joint soft chews come in a container of 90. These chews can be used with small, medium, large, and extra-large dogs.
This supplement from PetNC is an affordable option that contains the same active ingredients as many other joint health chews. They are tasty and easy to give as treats.
- made with MSM, glucosamine, and chondroitin
- liver flavor is palatable to most dogs
- made with human-grade ingredients
- soft texture allows small dogs or those with limited chewing ability to eat them easily
- affordable price when compared to many other options
- are laboratory tested
- not soy-free
- container doesn’t have as many servings as some other options
This joint care supplement for dogs from PetNC is made with high-quality ingredients that are human-grade. These chews are liver flavored and extremely soft so dogs of all sizes and ages can take them easily.
Dog joint supplements come in many formulations. Most are designed to be taken orally as a treat. It’s important to find a supplement that tastes good so your dog will take it willingly. When using a joint care supplement, be aware that many require you to give a larger dose at first to increase the benefits of the active ingredients. This step is especially beneficial for dogs who are already experiencing joint pain or stiffness. Joint supplements for dogs can also be used as preventative measures to reduce the chances of your dog developing issues in the future.
Dog joint care supplements can be pricey so it’s essential to do your research to find the best option. Consider the servings per container when comparing supplements based on price and ingredients. It’s also helpful to read online consumer reviews before purchasing these supplements. These reviews provide helpful information on the quality of the supplements and how well it works.