For those with limited mobility there are many challenges with getting to places you need to go. A wheelchair works well for most people.
Using an electric wheelchair can provide you with the independence needed to go shopping, to appointments, or other places. These wheelchairs are relatively easy to use and many can fold for easy travel.
An electric wheelchair is designed with a motor to help you get around more easily. Unlike manual wheelchairs, electric wheelchairs don’t require you to move the unit by hand. Most include a rechargeable battery so that you can keep the unit charged for when you need it.
These wheelchairs include many different features and the price can vary greatly depending on the features and design of the electric wheelchair. The following is a list of the 10 best electric wheelchairs based on reviews by Consumer Guide.
[amazon box=”B00H2YASUE,B07NSGKR4K,B0795CLS5W,B00N501YSE,B07KJQ2L33,B001BFQ0IO,B07G2ZNQTF,B074ZNL9SF,B002VWKP1Y,B0735DSCZ5″ /]
10. EZ Lite Cruiser
The standard model from EZ Lite Cruiser has a lightweight and foldable design that makes it ideal for travel. This electric wheelchair is designed to be able to be transported in most standard cars so you don’t have to install a lift.
This electric wheelchair from EX Lite Cruiser has a smaller turning radius than many other electric wheelchairs. This allows you to move through tighter spaces without issue. The entire chair weighs only 50 pounds including the battery.
- can support a maximum weight of 264 pounds
- includes a lithium ion battery that can go up to 10 miles on one full charge
- has a turning radius of 33″
- lightweight and easy to fold
- can be transported in most standard vehicles
- features rubberized wheels for traction
- chair doesn’t include a headrest
- use of joystick may take some practice to prevent jerky movements
This electric wheelchair from EZ Lite Cruiser is compact and has a small turning radius so you can use it in smaller homes or apartments. The unit is lightweight and features rubberized wheels for traction on various surfaces. The joystick can be mounted on the right or left side.
9. Porto Mobility Ranger D09 Exclusive Portable Power Wheelchair – Black
The Porto Mobility Ranger D09 power wheelchair is lightweight and extremely portable when compared to standard electric wheelchairs. This unit weighs only 50 pounds and has as foldable design so it can fit into many standard vehicles.
This power wheelchair from Porto Mobility has a small turning radius which makes it great for use in small homes, apartments, or other tight spaces. The chair is comfortable and supportive to prevent pain and fatigue when sitting for long periods of time.
- has a turning radius of 33″
- can fit into most car trunks when folded
- weighs only 50 pounds
- has a maximum weight capacity of 396 pounds
- can travel up to 5 MPH
- chair can go up to 16 miles on one full battery charge
- replacement batteries are pricey
- chair is not designed to be used in wet weather
This portable and compact electric wheelchair from Porto Mobility features puncture-free wheels that provide traction on most surfaces. The chair can be folded easily and is designed to fit into most vehicle trunks so you won’t have to install a lift on your car.
8. innuovo N5513A Lightweight Foldable Electrical Wheelchair
The innuovo N5513A Lightweight electric wheelchair has a foldable design that allows you to take it nearly anywhere. This chair is perfect for those who travel frequently and need extra help getting around. It can fit in most cars and also works well for airplane travel.
This powered wheelchair from innuovo weighs only 50 pounds which makes it easy to put into your vehicle and take out when needed. The chair is made of quality materials and designed to last through many uses, no matter where you’re taking it.
- made of aviation-grade aluminum
- can be switched easily from manual and electric mode
- supports up to 295 pounds
- lightweight but durable
- joystick makes the chair easy to maneuver
- includes 2 batteries that can travel up to 20 KM
- doesn’t come with a headrest
- can’t be used in the rain or other wet weather
This powered wheelchair from innuovo is lightweight but still made from strong materials so it lasts through years of regular usage. The chair can be folded to fit into the trunk of most standard vehicles. It features a joystick that’s easy to use and a small turning radius.
7. Golden Technologies Scooter Powered-Wheelchair
The Golden Technologies Scooter/Powered Wheelchair has a budget-friendly price when compared to many other similar style chairs. This unit comes in many different color options including: red, purple, or green so you can choose the one that best matches your personality.
This powered wheelchair from Golden Technologies has a spacious seat so you can stay comfortable while sitting for extended periods of time. The chair comes with two 22Ah batteries so you can always keep one charged for on-the-go.
- the lightest and most affordable self-powered wheelchair available
- has a top speed of 4 MPH
- can go up to 15 miles on one charge
- easy to maneuver, even in tight spaces
- disassembles in seconds for transport
- features a storage basket for essential items
- disassembly may require a second person for those with certain limitations
- controls are sensitive and may take some practice when learning to use the chair
This powered chair from Golden Technologies works well for those on a budget who are still seeking a quality chair that’s easy to transport. The chair comes apart easily to fit into the trunk of most cars. It has a small turning radius and sensitive controls for easy maneuvering.
6. ComfyGO New Model 2019 Fold & Travel Lightweight Folding Remote Control Electric Wheelchair
The ComfyGO Lightweight Electric Wheelchair has been updated for the 2019 year. This chair features new technology which makes it lightweight and still durable and designed to last through many hours of heavy duty usage.
This lightweight wheelchair from ComfyGO is ideal for travel whether you’re going on a road trip or traveling by air. The chair includes several safety features that make it ideal for use with people who have varying limited abilities.
- has Bluetooth connectivity to control the chair remotely
- comes with 1 battery that can go up to 12 miles on one charge
- has a seat-belt and anti-tipper for safety
- easy to control from the chair or from a distance
- works on grass, pavement, mud, gravel, and more
- can be folded for travel or storage
- only comes with 1 battery
- weighs slightly more than some other chairs at 55 pounds
This powered wheelchair from ComfyGO features Bluetooth technology that allows the chair to be controlled from a distance if needed. The chair is designed to fold up compactly for storage or for travel. It has quality wheels than can easily traverse most types of terrain.
5. Compact Mid-Wheel Drive Power Chair
The Compact Mid-Wheel Drive Power Chair from CTM Mobility Scooter comes in a stylish burgundy color. This chair has a comfortable seat with a supportive backrest that features thick padding. It also has a headrest to help support the neck.
This chair works well for people with varying abilities. It can be used for everyday use or for those occasions where you simply need the added help to get around when traveling or doing a lot of errands or other daily tasks.
- anti-tip design for safety
- extra tight turning radius works well around corners
- has a maximum speed of 4 MPH
- anti-tip wheels have great traction for different terrain
- has a maximum weight capacity of 300 pounds
- joystick can swing away so you can pull the chair directly up to a table
- sensitive controls may take some practice for those not used to power chairs
- chair doesn’t fold as easily as many other options
This electric wheelchair from CTM Mobility Scooter has safety features to keep the unit from tipping over and help prevent slippage on different types of terrain. The chair features a sensitive joystick that allows you to easily navigate through tight spaces.
4. Porto Mobility Ranger D09 – Silver
The Porto Mobility Ranger D09 folding electric wheelchair can be used for airport travel and is approved by most airlines. This wheelchair is easy to fold and can be folded for storage or travel in seconds and can be done without assistance for some people.
This electric wheelchair from Porto Mobility can be used without a lift which saves time and money. The unit can easily fit into the trunk or cargo space of most cars and SUVs. It has a small turning radius so you can use the chair in small spaces.
- chair weighs only 50 pounds
- includes 2 batteries
- joystick controller makes it easy to navigate
- has a turning radius of 33″
- can be folded for travel or storage
- can travel up to 16 miles
- pricier than many comparable chairs
- replacement batteries are expensive
This power wheelchair from Porto Mobilty has a foldable design and it weighs 50 pounds which makes it easy to transport. This chair includes a joystick that makes navigating with this chair fairly easy to learn, even for those inexperienced with powered chairs.
3. Forcemech Voyager R2
The Forcemech Voyager R2 is one of the most lightweight and compact electric wheelchair options available. This unit comes in a vibrant yellow color and is ideal for travel, whether you’re on the road or traveling by plane.
This wheelchair from Forcemech has been FDA certified. It’s authorized for use on cruise ships and through airports. The chair is easy to use and can be folded away for storage when not in use. It also fits into most standard vehicle trunks or cargo spaces.
- weighs on 43 pounds without batteries
- has dual batteries
- can travel up to 16 miles on a full charge
- can hold up to 265 pounds
- has a durable aluminum alloy frame
- features a 32″ turning radius
- footrest can be in the way when getting in or out of the chair
- when folding the chair you have to remove the cushions
This lightweight electric wheelchair from Forcemech is one of the lightest on the market. The chair allows you to mount the joystick on the right or left side for convenience. It has a supportive seat and backrest to provide comfort while sitting.
2. Drive Medical Cirrus Plus Folding Power Wheelchair
The Drive Medical Cirrus Plus folding power wheelchair features a ground clearance of 4″ to work on many different types of terrain. This chair has textured tires for traction and to help you climb ramps and other terrain with an angle up to 6 degrees.
This power chair from Drive Medical has a simple design that works well for those on a budget. The chair has folding footrests and easily switches between electrical or manual operation as needed. It has easy freewheel operation so you can get around where you need to.
- programmable controller
- flat-free wheels
- includes a storage pouch for convenience
- anti-tip wheels keep the rider safe
- armrests are padded, adjustable, and removable
- includes a positioning belt
- chair is not as lightweight and portable as others
- doesn’t include many advanced features like pricier options
This wheelchair from drive medical features durable tires with flat-free technology so you don’t have to worry about getting stuck. The chair is a budget-friendly option that works well for those who need a basic chair to help them run errands or travel.
1. Sentire Med Forza D09 Deluxe Fold Foldable Power Wheel Chair
The Sentire Med Forza D09 power wheelchair is lightweight for travel and storage. This chair can be folded without needing disassembly. It can fit into most standard car trunks and has a handle underneath to help get it into and out of the vehicle.
This powered wheelchair from Sentire has an ergonomic design to keep the rider comfort, even when sitting for long periods of time. This chair has an aluminum alloy frame which makes it lightweight but still extremely durable.
- can fold in 5 seconds
- has simple controls with a joystick for easy maneuvering
- chair weighs 50 pounds without battery
- can be folded for travel on airlines or cruise ships
- works on nearly any terrain
- allows you to make turns easily
- one of the higher priced options available
- some people may need to add a cushion to the seat for better support
This powered wheelchair from Sentire Med has a compact design with a lightweight aluminum alloy frame. The chair has been designed to fold easily for travel. It features a tight turning radius so you can easily maneuver through tight spaces and around corners.
When shopping for an electric wheelchair it’s important to consider the abilities of the person who will be using it. Most electric wheelchairs are fairly easy to use and they don’t require any real physical strength which is ideal for those with limited upper body movement. It’s also important to compare the different electric wheelchair options based on the size of the unit to be sure you find one that will fit in the spaces where it will be most frequently used.
Some electric wheelchairs are lighter and more compact than others which can work well for those who use them infrequently. It’s also helpful to read online reviews from other consumers to help you choose the best option that will meet your needs and budget.