If you’re planning on upgrading your kitchen appliances or are completing a kitchen renovation project you may be looking for the best options available that still fit within your budget. When it comes to over the range microwaves, there are many options available. They come in several sizes so it’s important to know the size of the space in which you plan to put your new microwave.
Over the range microwaves have many features that make them functional for more than just microwaving your food. Some also act as an exhaust fan and hood for your stovetop. Others may have different types of cooking methods so you can better prepare meals in your home. The following is a list of the 10 best over the range microwaves based on consumer report.
[amazon box=”B00012ORJ2,B071HLGVNT,B08563BYF7,B00009V3X6,B01E0U2YW2,B00EU7C30O,B00KWUI2AI,B00F2QFR9Q,B084D8VF46,B012HL707K” /]
10. Sharp R-1214 1-1/2-Cubic Feet 1100-Watt Over-the-Counter Microwave
The Sharp R-1214 over the range microwave is stylish and functional. This microwave has a large capacity to accommodate dinner plates and other large containers.
This microwave from Sharp has many different preset functions to thaw, cook, and reheat your food. It’s easy to use and includes an LCD display that makes it easy to change the settings.
- has a keep warm option to keep your food up to 30 minutes after cooking has finished
- defrost center allows you to defrost by weight or time
- available in stainless or white
- easy to use with simple controls
- has 1100 watts of power
- 1.5 cubic feet capacity is oversized to work for many types of foods
- doesn’t include a vent feature for cooking on your range
- unit is heavy and needs 2 people for installation
This over the range microwave from Sharp has many settings to cook, defrost, and reheat foods. The unit has an LCD screen that shows you to cooking time and lets you choose among the various settings.
9. Frigidaire FGMV176NTD 1.7 Cu. Ft. Over-The-Range Microwave
The Frigidaire FGMV176NTD over the range microwave has 1.7 cubic feet of space. This microwave has a stainless steel finish with black accents that will look great in your kitchen.
This microwave from Frigidaire has several one-touch presets make it easy to cook your favorite foods. The finish on the microwave is designed to be smudge-proof and easy to clean.
- includes lighting underneath for use on your cooktop
- sensor cooking uses technology to cook foods to the right temperature
- interior is easy to wipe clean as needed
- features one-touch buttons for potatoes, popcorn, and other popular foods
- includes an extra-large turntable
- comes with LED interior lighting
- unit weighs over 60 pounds
- the installation process with this microwave can be challenging
This microwave from Frigidaire has 1.7 cubic feet of cooking space. It comes with several one-touch controls that allow you to cook your favorite foods easily. The stainless steel finish is smudge-proof and easy to wipe clean.
8. LG 2-cu ft Over-the-Range Microwave
The LG over the range microwave has a round cavity to provide plenty of cooking space. This microwave comes in a stainless finish that’s resistant to fingerprints.
This microwave from LG has an auto cook function that works for bacon, frozen rolls, fresh rolls, chicken pieces, and hot cereal, which makes it easy to cook your favorite foods.
- has 1200 watts of power
- 2 cubic feet of space allow you to cook most types of foods easily
- includes an auto defrost with meat, poultry, or fish options
- round interior makes it easy to clean
- installation process is quick and easy
- includes the option to customize the sound, scroll speed, and units
- display is small and hard to read from a distance
- unit is heavy and weighs over 66 pounds
This microwave from LG is large and provides 2 cubic feet of cooking space. It has many preset functions that allow you to easily cook your favorite foods with the touch of a button.
7. Sharp R1874T 850W Over-the-Range Convection Microwave
This over the range microwave from Sharp features convection cooking technology so you can cook many of your favorite foods quickly and easily without needing to heat up your stove.
The Sharp R1874T microwave has a stylish stainless steel finish that’s easy to wipe clean as needed. This unit is more compact than other over the range microwaves and would work well in a smaller kitchen.
- has 1.1 cubic feet of cooking space
- stainless steel interior has a light for convenience
- includes a built-in exhaust system
- includes a 2-color display
- has smart settings and sensor cooking technology
- comes with low and high racks for cooking
- pricier than many other similarly sized microwaves
- this unit has a 13″ turntable and doesn’t have as much inside cooking space as some others
This compact over the range microwave is ideal for smaller kitchens. It has 850 watts of power and 1.1 cubic feet of cooking space. The panel has several preset cooking functions to save time and effort when cooking popular foods.
6. Samsung ME16K3000AS Over-The-Range Microwave
The Samsung ME16K3000AS over the range microwave is spacious so you can cook casseroles and other large dishes in it. This microwave has a beautiful stainless steel finish that will look nice in any kitchen.
This microwave from Samsung is easy to install and more lightweight than other microwaves in a similar size. It has preset functions to make cooking and reheating your food easy.
- has 1.6 cubic feet of cooking space
- includes preset functions for pizza, potatoes, popcorn, and more
- comes with the brackets needed for installation
- weighs only44.2 pounds which makes the installation process easier
- has easy to use controls for reheating or cooking many different foods
- stainless steel finish is easy to wipe clean
- not as powerful as some other microwaves
- may be noisier when compared to microwaves of a similar style and price
This microwave from Samsung has an outdoor venting option to remove smells and smoke when you’re cooking. The unit has preset functions and a simple control panel that makes it easy to use.
5. GE PEM31DFWW Microwave Oven
The GE PEM31DFWW microwave oven has a simple design for those looking for a basic and functional microwaved. This unit can be used on the countertop or above your range.
This microwave from GE comes in a stylish white finish. The control panel has simple buttons with several preset cooking functions to make it easy to choose the best cooking settings based on your food.
- comes with an optional hanger kit to install it over your range
- has 800 watts of power and 10 cooking levels
- the recessed turntable can be turned off when not needed
- has a charcoal filter with indicator light to let you know when it needs to be changed
- includes cooking settings for popcorn, snacks, beverages, and more
- features a delayed start button
- installation may be difficult and require extra drilling if you’re replacing another microwave
- not available in stainless steel
This microwave from GE is easy to use and ideal for those looking for a microwave with the specific measurements of 12″ deep and 24″ wide. It has preset cooking functions to make it easy to prepare your favorite foods.
4. Magic Chef 1.6 cu. ft. Over-the-Range Microwave
The Magic Chef over the range microwave is an affordable option that’s easy to use and versatile for cooking many different foods. This microwave comes in a white finish.
This microwave from Magic Chef can be used to cook, defrost, and reheat foods. It has an exhaust fan that makes it easy to vent odors and smoke from your kitchen while you cook.
- includes a powerful exhaust fan
- has preset functions that make it easy to cook powerful foods
- unit has 1.6 cubic feet of cooking space
- comes with settings for popcorn, heating a dinner plate, baked potato, and more
- weighs just 52.5 pounds
- has 1000 watts of power
- microwave is loud when used on high power
- installation may be difficult
This microwave from Magic Chef is affordable and simple to use. It has preset controls for reheating foods, cooking, and defrosting. It also includes a timer and light for convenience.
3. GE JVM3160DFBB 30″ Over-the-Range Microwave Oven
The GE JVM3160DFBB over the range microwave oven is manufactured in the United States and made of durable materials. This unit is easy to use and designed to last.
This microwave from GE comes in a stylish black finish. It has preset controls for popcorn, beverage, potato, reheat, and defrost to make it easy to cook all your favorite foods.
- measures 15.25″ deep by 29.875″ wide by 16.5″ tall
- has a cooking capacity of 1.6 cubic feet
- has 1000 watts of cooking power
- has lights underneath to illuminate your stovetop
- comes with an exhaust fan
- includes a charcoal filter
- unit is heavy which can complicate installation
- doesn’t have a sensor cooking feature
This microwave from GE comes in a black finish. It’s made in the US with quality materials. The microwave has presets for cooking, defrosting, and reheating your food.
2. Frigidaire Gallery Series 2 cu. ft. Capacity Countertop Microwave
The Frigidaire Gallery Series microwave is a large capacity option for anyone who needs a microwave that can cook a lot of food at once. This unit is designed for use on the countertop but it can also be hung underneath a cabinet.
This microwave from Frigidaire has many different cooking settings so you can easily prepare your favorite foods. It has smart cooking technology that uses sensors to cook your food properly.
- has 2 cubic feet of capacity
- includes one-touch options for cooking, defrosting, and reheating
- unit has 1200 watts of cooking power
- has more preset functions that many other microwaves to cook foods like chicken nuggets and snack foods
- large capacity means you can place large bowls and casserole dishes in this microwave
- stainless finish is easy to clean
- not designed specifically for over the range use which can be a challenge during installation
- trim kit for under cabinet installation needs to be purchased separately
This microwave from Frigidaire is a large capacity option for those who need more cooking space. It comes with many preset functions for cooking, reheating, and defrosting your favorite foods.
1. GE JNM3163DJBB Over-the-Range Microwave
The GE JNM3163JBB over the range microwave comes in a black finish. This microwave has convenient controls so you can cook many of your favorite foods with one touch.
This microwave from GE allows you to use the available programs or choose manual settings for time and power level. It has a venting system that helps you remove smoke and odors from your kitchen.
- includes automatic or time defrost
- has 950 watts of power
- -simple display makes it easy to change the settings
- turntable can be turned off and on as needed
- features a 300 CFM venting system
- has 1.6 cubic feet of cooking space
- not as powerful as some other similarly priced microwaves
- unit may be louder than some other options
This microwave from GE has many different settings for cooking, defrosting, and reheating your food. It features a powerful venting system can be useful for removing smoke and odors from your kitchen while you cook.
An over the range microwave can be a pricey investment which is why you should do some research before you make a purchase. These microwaves come in several colors, styles, and sizes. You can choose a microwave that matches the finishes of your other kitchen appliances. Be sure to measure the space above your range so you choose a microwave that fits well. It’s helpful to have another person to complete the installation process as these microwaves can be quite heavy.
When shopping for an over the range microwave it’s important to compare the various options based on price and function. Over the range microwaves can be used to reheat your leftovers, cook frozen dinners, and do other important tasks in your kitchen with little time and effort. Most are large enough to fit a dinner plate or casserole dish. It’s helpful to read online consumer reviews when you’re shopping for an over the range microwave. These reviews can provide you with useful information to help you choose the best option for the money.