Spending time indoors in the summer months usually means blasting air conditioning so you can keep cool. If you’re in a space that doesn’t have central air conditioning or some other type of whole house cooling system you’re probably looking for a simpler way to keep cool while inside.
If you rent a home or simply don’t want to install a new air conditioning system, one of the best options is to use a window unit. These units are designed to cool one room and they can be ideal for use in a bedroom, living space, or home addition where you need extra cooling power.
A window unit air conditioner is easy to install in your window. Most simply plug into a standard wall outlet once you secure them in the window. They are available in different sizes and designed to cool different sized spaces so you can choose one that will be able to cool your space depending on the square footage.
You may also want to consider the efficiency of the unit you choose if you’re concerned about saving money on your power bill. Window units work well for those who are renting because you can easily remove them without causing damage to the property. The following is a list of the 10 best window air conditioners based on reviews by consumer report.
[amazon box=”B07F2R9HTT,B00QXR9794,B0741QNKH2,B00T8VQTMA,B06WRRZLYB,B00IJYGQLQ,B07CP4WHYW,B07FQC2FWV,B00IYQXY78,B00W2KG92Y” /]
10. Friedrich CP05G10B Air Conditioner
The Friedrich CPO5G10B Air Conditioner has a powerful 5200 BTU of cooling power. It’s designed to be used in rooms with a square footage up to 150 feet. This unit has a flexible cord that can be ran on either side of the air conditioner for convenience.
This window air conditioning unit from Friedrich features louvers that are designed to automatically oscillate while the unit is running. This feature helps spread the cool air around your entire space so the room cools down more quickly.
- 15.4″ deep by 18.6″ wide by 12.3″ tall
- designed to operate quietly compared to other units
- can be installed in a window or in a wall
- ideal for use in a bedroom or other small room
- oscillation helps spread air around the entire room
- cord allows you to easily plug the unit into the closest outlet not matter the side
- only designed to cool rooms up to 150 square feet
- requires some basic assembly before usage
This window air conditioner includes a removable filter that can be rinsed clean to help keep your air quality fresh. It’s designed for use in rooms that are 150 square feet or smaller. The unit has an auto restart feature that saves your settings if power is interrupted.
9. Koldfront 12,000 BTU 115V Window Air Conditioner
The Koldfront 12,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner is powerful enough to cool a larger room than many comparable window units. It has a simple design that allows you to direct the air in different directions using the vents.
This window air conditioner from Koldfront includes the kit you need to install it in your window. It has an average yearly cost of around $98 which will depend on the climate you live it. Compared to other air conditioners it may save on cooling costs.
- louvers allow you to direct the cool air
- includes a remote control
- has a digital temperature readout
- easy to install with the included kit
- remote control makes it easy to change the temperature settings
- has an energy saving mode
- unit is heavy and weighs over 70 pounds
- may not fit all types of windows
This window unit from Koldfront comes with the kit you need to install it in most standard size windows. It has louvers at the top so you can direct the air around your room to the area you need it most. This unit also comes with a remote control for convenience.
8. Koldfront WAC12001W 12,000 BTU 208/230V Heat/Cool Window Air Conditioner
The Koldfront 12000 BTU Window Air Conditioner is a dual purpose unit that can also be used for heating in the winter. This window unit comes with installation hardware and the seals needed for you to safely and securely install it in your window.
This window unit air conditioning system can be installed in windows with a width from 26 7/8″ to 36″ with a minimum height of 16 1/2″. It features louvers at the top of the unit to help direct the cool air around the room so the entire room cools more quickly.
- 12000 BTU of cooling power
- 11000 BTU of heating power
- can be used in a space up to 550 square feet in size
- includes an energy saving mode
- comes with a 2-year warranty from the manufacturer – has 4 operation modes
- higher price than many others due to added function of heat
- unit is heavy and may require 2 people for installation
This window air conditioner from Koldfront is a dual purpose unit that can be used year-round to heat or cool your space. It works in larger rooms up to 550 square feet. This unit comes with a remote control so you can easily adjust the settings.
7. Frigidaire FFRA1011R1 10,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Mini-Compact Air Conditioner
The Frigidaire 10000 BTU Window Mounted Mini-Compact air conditioner is designed to be used in rooms up to 450 square feet in size. This unit is designed to operate quietly so you can use it in a bedroom without disrupting your sleep.
This window air conditioning unit from Frigidaire is designed to remove around 2.7 pints of water per hour from the air in your space to keep humidity down and increase comfort. The unit has a small design but is powerful enough to cool a medium to large size room.
- includes a full 1 year warranty
- has 3 different fan speeds
- operates as low as 55.7 dBA
- smaller when compared to other units with similar cooling power
- features 8 way air direction to cool the entire space quickly
- can be used in a bedroom, office, home addition, or other space
- doesn’t include a remote control
- not ideal for use in all types of windows
This compact air conditioner from Frigidaire can cool a space up to 450 square feet in size. This unit has 8 directions to blow the air which helps to cool the entire room. It has a quiet design that works well for those who don’t like loud noises while sleeping.
6. hOmeLabs 5000 BTU Window Mounted Air Conditioner
The hOmeLabs 5000 BTU Window Mounted air conditioner is perfect for smaller spaces like a bedroom, a home office, or a home addition. This unit is designed to be able to cool a space with a square footage up to 150.
This compact air conditioner from hOmeLabs has a heavy duty design that gives it plenty of power to cool your space quickly. It includes a reusable filter that can be cleaned with water and dish soap or vacuumed to remove dirt and debris.
- includes an eco-friendly filter that’s easy to clean
- can be used in windows that measure 23 to 36 inches wide and at least 13 inches high
- it has 7 different temperature settings
- ideal for use in an RV, small apartment, or dorm
- washable filter helps you keep your air fresh and clean
- includes the mounting hardware
- not designed for rooms larger than 150 square feet
- doesn’t have an automatic off feature for when it reaches the desired coolness level
This compact air conditioner works well in small rooms. It features 5000 BTU of cooling power to cool small spaces quickly and efficiently. This unit comes with a removable filter that can be washed and vacuumed easily as needed.
5. Keystone 5,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Air Conditioner
The Keystone 5000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Air Conditioner includes a remote control that allows you to easily change the temperature and other settings from anywhere in the room. This unit has 5000 BTU of cooling power.
This window mount air conditioning unit from Keystone is designed to be used in small spaces like a bedroom, home addition, or apartment. It has a dehumidification feature that can remove around 1.3 pints of water from the air per hour.
- has electronic controls with an LED display
- can be used in a room up to 150 square feet in size
- includes a temperature sensing remote control
- small size makes it easy to install
- auto-restart saves settings in case power is interrupted
- costs around $40 per year on average to operate
- may need manual drainage to prevent water buildup
- not as quiet as other units with similar power
This compact air conditioner from Keystone includes a remote control that you read the temperature around you so it can be easily adjusted for your comfort. The unit comes with everything needed for installation.
4. Frigidaire FFRA1022R1 10000 BTU 115-volt Window-Mounted Compact Air Conditioner
The Frigidaire 10000 BTU 115-volt compact air conditioner uses a standard electrical outlet for operation and requires little effort for installation. This unit includes the hardware and other supplies needed to install it in most standard windows.
This air conditioning unit from Fridigaire is designed to quickly cool a room up to 450 square feet in size. It also features a dehumidifying function that can remove around 2.7 pints of moisture from the air per hour to keep your home feeling even cooler.
- energy efficient ratio of 10.9
- unit is energy star certified
- has 10000 BTU of cooling power
- can be used to cool small and medium sized rooms up to 450 square feet
- includes a 1 year manufacturer’s warranty
- has a 24 hour on/off timer
- doesn’t have an automatic restart feature
- unit is quite heavy compared to some others
This window air conditioning unit from Frigidaire has an energy saving mode to help you save on power usage. It also features a sleep mode and has 3 different fan speeds. It’s designed to cool a room up to 450 square feet.
3. LG Energy Star Window Air Conditioner
The LG Energy Star window air conditioning unit has 6000 BTU of cooling power. This air conditioner is designed to cool a room up to 260 square feet in size. It also features dehumidification that can remove around 1.8 pints of water per hour.
This window air conditioning unit from LG can keep a small or medium sized room cool and free of excess moisture to increase the comfort in your space. It has 3 different fan speeds so you can choose the speed that works best in your home.
- has auto cooling for flexibility in keeping your space comfortable
- energy saving function conserves energy and saves money
- comes with a remote control
- unit has WiFi capabilities
- indicator light lets you know when the filter should be cleaned
- timer allows you to set the unit based on your specific cooling needs
- only designed for rooms up to 260 square feet
- may be noisy and distracting
This window air conditioner from LG has 3 fan speeds and 3 cooling speeds so you can adjust settings based on your comfort. It comes with a remote control so you can change the temperature from anywhere in the room. It’s designed for use in rooms under 160 square feet.
2. Frigidaire 5,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Mini-Compact Air Conditioner
The Frigidaire 5000 BTU window mounted mini air conditioner can be installed in most standard windows with a height of at least 13 inches. The unit comes with a complete quick mounting kit to help you mount it easily in your window.
This air conditioner unit from Frigidaire comes with a 3-prong power cord that can be plugged into any standard electrical outlet. This unit uses mechanical rotary controls and is has 2 different fan speeds and 2 cool speeds.
- can be used in windows from 23″ to 36″ wide
- has an extra long 6.5 foot cord
- unit is smaller and more lightweight than comparable air conditioners
- has 2-way air direction control
- low power startup saves energy
- automatically restores settings after restart due to power loss
- unit makes more noise than some other compact air conditioners
- the thermostat button makes it somewhat difficult to choose your exact temperature
This compact air conditioner from Frigidaire can be used in small rooms to keep them cool and comfortable. It comes with the installation kit and can be installed in most standard windows. The extra long 6.5 foot cord makes it easy to power the unit in most spaces.
1. Frigidaire FFRA0511R1 5, 000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Mini-Compact Air Conditioner
The Frigidaire FFRA0511R1 5 mini compact air conditioner has 5000 BTU of cooling power to be used in small rooms with a size up to 150 square feet. This unit has a low power startup that helps conserve energy and reduce your power bill.
This small air conditioner from Frigidaire is designed to quickly cool a room like a bedroom or home office. It features mechanical rotary controls that are designed to last through many seasons of usage. It features 2-way air direction to move air around the entire room.
- cools a room up to 150 square feet
- unit is 12″ high by 16″ wide by 15.25″ deep
- has dehumidification power of up to 1.1 pints per hour
- low-power startup prevents excess use of electricity
- cools and dehumidifies
- has several settings for fans and speeds
- doesn’t have an energy saving mode
- unit doesn’t have the auto-restart function
This compact air conditioner from Frigidaire is designed to cool a room up to 150 square feet. This unit also dehumidifies as it cools. It has 5000 BTU of cooling power and air direction control to help you cool your small space quickly and efficiently.
A window unit air conditioner is ideal for situations where you can’t install a permanent cooling system. They work well in rentals, recreational vehicles, small apartments, and dorms. They also work well in home additions where you’re current HVAC system doesn’t reach.
When you’re looking for a window unit air conditioner you should consider the space you want to cool. Most are rated based on the space they are capable of cooling. You can also read online reviews to find one that works well, is easy to install, and can be used in the space you need to cool.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.