As summer and hot weather approaches many people are looking for ways to keep cool while spending time indoors. Installing a whole house cooling system isn’t always an option. If you’re renting, have a small space, or are on a tight budget you may be looking for alternatives to keep your space cool.
One of these alternatives is a portable air conditioner. These units are relatively small and many have wheels so you can easily move them around from one room to another. They’re designed to cool one room at a time.
A portable air conditioner is much easier to install than a window unit and they can be removed and stored away when not in use. These smaller air conditioning units work well for those who are renting and need a cooling solution that can be installed and removed easily.
They also function for small homes where you don’t want to install a whole house unit. When choosing the right portable air conditioner for your space it’s important to consider the installation process and the size of the room you want to use it in. The following is a list of the 10 best portable air conditioners based on reviews by consumer report.
[amazon box=”B07FCPPDH8,B07Q7N4MR7,B01AA8WOAK,B07FPDXM79,B07NC1D2XX,B00NOOY32U,B07D8TWJ2T,B07C4K4T72,B07K8GT8D4,B0028AYQDC” /]
10. Honeywell MN12CESBB 12000 BTU Portable AC
The Honeywell 12000 BTU Portable AC can be used to cool rooms that are up to 550 square feet in size. It includes a remote control that allows you to easily adjust the settings from anywhere in the room. This unit also has a washable air filter.
This air conditioner from Honeywell has a compact design so it doesn’t take up a lot of space for use or storage. It has 4 wheels on the bottom so you can move it around as needed. The dehumidifier function is ideal for use on humid days.
- has 3 fan speeds
- includes a 24 hour energy saving timer
- comes with a full window kit for easy installation
- washable filters allow you to keep the air inside fresh
- wheels make it easy to roll the unit into a different room
- thermal overload protection gives peace of mind
- may need to be drained if used in very humid conditions
- unit is somewhat noisy
This air conditioner from Honeywell has an extremely portable design with wheels so you can move it around or store it when you don’t need it. The unit is ideal for spaces up to 550 square feet and can be used in bedrooms, home additions, or attics.
9. COSTWAY 10000 BTU Air Conditioner, Portable Air Conditioner Unit
The COSTWAY 1000 BTU Air Conditioner includes a dehumidifier that works well when used in a humid climate. This portable air conditioning unit is ideal for small rooms and is recommended to be used in a room under 161 square feet.
This unit has a no drip design that helps prevent messes on the floor when the unit is being used. This air conditioning unit from COSTWAY uses auto-evaporation to prevent condensation buildup and it doesn’t require you to install a hose for the water drain.
- has caster wheels on the bottom so you can move it around easily
- remote control offers precise temperature adjustment
- has cooling, dehumidifying, fan, and sleep modes
- slide-out filter can be rinsed easily
- remote control allows you to adjust the temperature from across the room
- unit has a lower price than many similar portable air conditioners
- unit makes sound that may be disruptive to some people
- doesn’t have a removable drip tray
The COSTWAY portable air conditioner has a budget-friendly price tag and a compact design. It includes a remote control and is designed to be used in a small room like an office or bedroom. It has several different functions for cooling your home.
8. Whynter Elite ARC-122DS 12,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner
The Whynter Elite ARC-122DS 12,000 BTU air conditioner can be used in rooms up to 400 square feet in size. This unit has a compact design that makes it ideal for use in a bedroom, office, attic, or home addition where you don’t want to install an expensive air conditioning system.
This portable air conditioner from Whynter is efficient and able to cool your space quickly. It has 3 different modes so you can choose the one that best meets your needs based on the conditions in your home. This unit uses eco-friendly refrigerant.
- has full thermostat control with digital readout
- includes an activated carbon filter and a washable pre-filter
- comes with the full installation kit
- can operate as an air conditioner, dehumidifier, or fan
- includes remote control for easy access to controls
- digital readout lets you know the exact temperature
- additional installation kit will need to be used to install unit with sliding glass doors
- may require frequent draining when used in extreme humidity
This portable air conditioner from Whynter is ideal for use in rooms up to 400 square feet. The unit operates with little noise so you can use it through the night. It has a precise temperature control and it automatically stops cooling when it reaches the desired temperature.
7. LG LP0817WSR 115V Portable Air Conditioner
The LG LP0817WSR 115V portable air conditioner is super compact and designed to be used in a small room with a square footage of 150 or under. This air conditioner features an automatic evaporation system to prevent condensation buildup.
This portable air conditioner from LG uses a standard electrical outlet and it includes a 6 foot long power cord. It also comes with the complete installation kit that will help you install it easily in most standard size windows.
- has a water full indicator
- cools a room up to 150 square feet
- top air discharge eliminates hot spots
- compact design makes it ideal for bedrooms and other small spaces
- installation kit included with unit
- has dehumidification of 1.8 pints per hour
- noise may disturb those who are sensitive to sound
- not ideal for use in medium or large rooms
This small air conditioning unit can work in rooms that are under 150 square feet which makes it great for cooling a bedroom or home office. This unit has an automatic dehumidification system and also prevents condensation buildup with automatic evaporation.
6. Honeywell MO08CESWK Compact Portable Air Conditioner
The Honeywell Compact Portable Air Conditioner has an affordable price for those seeking a budget-friendly cooling option. This unit is designed to be able to cool a room with a square footage up to 350 which would allow you to use it in a medium to large size room.
This portable air conditioner from Honeywell includes a remote control so you can adjust the temperature or turn the unit on or off from anywhere in the room. It has a dehumidifier to prevent the buildup of moisture inside your home.
- 8000 BTU
- includes dehumidifier and fan mode
- designed to be used in rooms up to 350 square feet in size
- includes remote control for convenience
- washable filter and filter change alert
- has 2 speeds
- doesn’t include the drain tube
- dehumidification capacity is lower than some other units
This compact and portable air conditioner from Honeywell has wheels on the bottom so you can move it around easily. It includes a remote control that will allow you to adjust the temperature. It has a 24 hour timer and a sleep mode.
5. Honeywell MN10CESBB 10000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
The Honeywell 10000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner also has a dehumidifier and fan function. This unit is compact in design and it features 4 wheels on the bottom so you can easily move it from room to room or put it in storage.
This compact air conditioner from Honeywell is easy to install and maintain. It comes with the full installation kit to allow you to vent the unit outside any standard window in your home. The unit is also easy to remove if needed.
- has 3 different fan speeds
- unit has a 24 hour energy saving mode
- washable filter helps keep your air free of dust and mold
- filter is easy to clean
- unit can be moved around or stored easily
- remote control makes it convenient to adjust the temperature
- designed for use in rooms smaller than 450 square feet
- window installation kit only designed for use with windows that slide up to open
This portable air conditioning unit from Honeywell has wheels on the bottom so you can move it easily. The unit includes the installation kit for installing in a standard window. It also comes with a remote control so you can adjust the temperature as needed.
4. Shinco SPF2-08C 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
The Shinco SPF2-08C is compact and budget-friendly. This portable air conditioner has 8000 BTU and a small design that won’t take up much space in smaller rooms. It also features 4 casters on the bottom so you can move it around easily.
This compact and portable air conditioning unit from Shinco also has a dehumidifier to help keep down the humidity inside your home. It also has a fan function to help circulate the air throughout the space to keep your room cool.
- designed for rooms under 350 square feet
- has self-evaporating technology
- LED display shows you the exact temperature
- includes exhaust hose and window installation kit
- has low speed mode for quiet operation
- easy to move around or put into storage
- unit is loud when operating on higher speed
- only designed for use in spaces up to 350 square feet
This compact air conditioning unit can be used in small to medium size rooms. It includes a remote control so you can easily adjust the temperature. This unit has an easy-to-read LED screen that shows you the exact temperature in the room.
3. BLACK + DECKER BPACT08WT Portable Air Conditioner
The BLACK + DECKER Portable Air Conditioner is the ideal option if you’re seeking a budget-friendly and compact air conditioning unit. This option is designed to be used in a bedroom or other small area and can cool a space up to 150 square feet.
This air conditioner from BLACK + DECKER includes an exhaust hose and window kit for installation. It also comes with a remote control so you an adjust the temperature settings from anywhere in the room with ease.
- unit uses environmentally friendly refrigerant
- works in double hung or sliding windows
- slide out filter can be rinsed as needed.
- small design that’s easy to move around
- can be installed in minutes
- ideal for small rooms
- can’t be used with crank-style windows
- only designed for use in rooms smaller than 150 square feet
This compact and portable air conditioner from BLACK + DECKER is affordable and effective for use in small rooms. It has wheels on the bottom so you can roll it away for storage. This unit comes with the window kit and exhaust hose for easy installation.
2. Honeywell Portable Air Conditioner, Dehumidifier & Fan
The Honeywell Portable Air Conditioner, Dehumidifier and Fan is designed to be used in rooms up to 400 square feet. It features powerful air flow and an adjustable temperature so you can cool your space to your personal comfort level.
This portable air conditioner from Honeywell has a sleep mode that gives you options when it comes to cooling your space. It has different speeds and a digital control panel so you can see the exact temperature and make adjustments as needed.
- has a 24 hour energy saving timer
- remote control makes it easy to adjust the temperature
- includes a washable filter
- has builtin dehumidifier
- automatic evaporation prevents condensation buildup
- includes pre-assembled full set window kit for installation
- unit may be too noisy on high setting for some people
- this air conditioner is quite heavy compared to some other options
This portable air conditioner form Honeywell is designed to cool spaces up to 400 square feet in size. This unit has a powerful air flow that helps spread the cool air throughout your space. It comes with a remote control so you can easily adjust the temperature.
1. Whynter ARC-14S 14,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner
The Whynter ARC-14S 14000 BTU portable air conditioner is one of the larger options available on the market. This unit can be used to cool a room up to 500 square feet in space. It’s designed to cool down the space quicker than many comparable units.
This air conditioning unit form Whynter gives you full thermostatic control with a temperature range from 61 degrees F to 89 degrees F. It also has a 24 hour programmable timer that allows you to set the unit to come on when you need it most.
- has an activated carbon filter
- includes a storage bag for convenient storage in the off-season
- uses eco-friendly refrigerant
- can be used in a space up to 500 square feet in size
- helps dehumidify the room for comfort
- includes a remote control
- larger and heavier than many other portable air conditioners
- unit needs to be drained manually
This portable air conditioner from Whynter is ideal for medium to large size rooms. It includes a remote control and a full digital readout so you can adjust the temperature to your preferred comfort level. The unit is designed stop cooling when the desired temperature is reached.
A portable air conditioner has many uses. They work well for those who are renting a home and can’t install a whole house system. They are also easier to install and to use than window units.
Most portable air conditioners include the installation kit and drainage hose if one is required. Some also act as dehumidifiers which can help reduce the humidity in your home.
When you’re choosing a portable air conditioner the most important thing to consider is the size of the space you want to cool. These units are labeled based on the square footage in which they’re designed to work. It’s also helpful to read online consumer reviews to help you choose the one that best meets your needs.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.